Skip to main content
Wikispaces Classroom is now free, social, and easier than ever.
Try it today.
Pages and Files
IA01 Background Survey - 1/29
IA02 Arduino Graph - 2/13
IA03 Partner Eval for MPA01 - 3/10
IA04 Partner Eval for MPA02 - 4/02
IA05 Partner Eval for MPA03 - 4/21
MPA01 Input Inventions - 3/3
MPA02 High-Low Tech - 3/26
MPA03 Kinects & Motors - 4/16
Semester Project Assignments
SPA01 Project Pitch
SPA02 Project Presentation
SPA03 Project Instructable
SPA04 Project Video
SPA05 Project Artifact
RA01 Tangible Bits - 1/29
RA02 Arduino Intro - 2/3
RA03 Electricity Intro - 2/13
RA04 Switches (p 39-59) - 2/19
RA05 Input Technology - 2/26
RA05 Sensor-Based Input - 2/26
RA06 Prototyping 3/5
The first (possibly, we're no longer sure) idea involved a cube of photoresistors. A sort of flashlight for a horror game. That spawned ideas about a punishing, non-visual horror game. That led to a 4x pressure sensor controller for a horror game (eventually abandoned). And that (eventually) turned into the initial thought behind
: why not let a horror game use additional input (read: sensors) to enforce certain playing conditions?
We really liked the idea of using what happens when a player plays a game (increased heart rate, perspiration, fidgeting) to influence how the game itself behaves. Our current prototype uses (1) a pulse sensor to approximate the player's emotional state and (2) an accelerometer to enforce motion constraints (stillness or the lack thereof).
provides two basic features: (1) pulse detection (to spawn an asteroid on every second beat), and (2) motion detection (to violently throw asteroids across the screen at the slightest twitch). So as heart rate and fidgeting increase, the game's difficulty -- or fun factor, depending on how you look at it -- increases.
processor: arduino (leonardo)
wristband: heavy, canvas-y cloth secured with heavy-duty thread
3 long pieces of solid-core wire (crimped)
4 long pieces of stranded wire (wrapped)
. We wanted something subtler, less invasive, so we went with a wristband (a la fitbit). We didn't, unfortunately, have a pulse sensor that fit on the wrist.
; we just couldn't find one to prototype with.
. We had to figure out how to
the data: did we want BPM? just peaks? something more complex? Ultimately, we set dynamically-adjusted thresholds to approximate heartbeats, and spawned asteroids on every other beat. Mapping the accelerometer data was more direct: the deltas fed asteroid velocities.
. They were annoying to crimp, annoying to connect, and annoying to keep connected. They were also mildly annoying to sew (though this was mostly because we wanted a reasonable-looking wristband -- meaning <= 1.25" wide).
MPA01 was a fun project, though we needed the additional time to get any real results. Having to use an arduino was, perhaps, also too limiting. Components were scarce at times, and several skills we needed had to be learned on the fly (e.g. wire crimping), but it was, overall, rewarding.
arduino + server portion:
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"